This email was sent to you by WineRelease.com.
To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), please add "nmonnens@WineRelease.com" to your address book or safe list.
Having difficulty viewing this email? View it here.
WineRelease.com's July 15, 2018 Monthly Newsletter.
Greetings from WineRelease.
This month we had 42 winery updates and 31 wineries releasing wine.
My family and I are back from Europe. We visited Lisbon, Madrid, London, Brittany and Paris. Lisbon felt so historical because of its old world charm. While my wife worked in her Lisbon office, my daughter and I did our fair share of sightseeing. In the evenings, we took advantage of a babysitter and were able to hit three of Lisbon’s hot new(ish) restaurants. One night, we finished the evening at a port bar, which was a nice treat.
Our weekend in Madrid felt like a homecoming, our first visit back to our neighborhood, Barrio Salamanca, where we lived for 2 years in 2008. After check-in we went straight to our favorite tapas restaurant, Cazorla (Calle del General Pardiñas and Calle de Padilla), and were remembered by the owners and workers with open arms. One said "We haven't seen you in three years", (or eight, but who's counting?). It was comforting ordering our favorites (tuna and tomato salad, Octopus, calamari and Jamon Iberico) while practicing our Spanish.
Although I have been to London in the past a handful of times, I really fell in love with it on this trip. I discovered so many interesting neighborhoods and visited the Majestic wine shop in London (Mayfair) where they had a fair selection of US wines (above). With the exchange rate of 10 GDP to $13.23 US dollar you can see the prices are reasonable as the 2012 Silver Oak Napa Valley retails here for $110 vs $167 in UK. I complemented them on their selection of wines that was much better than Barefoot White Zinfandel that was featured in the London supermarket I visited earlier this year.
We also took advantage of the excellent Indian food to be found in London, with dinners at a few new places (Dishoom and one other) and an old favorite, Light of India in Kensington.
Our time in Brittany was a relaxing four days. I’m not sure we needed all of that relaxation, so two days would have been enough. After a visit to the Guérande salt marshes to pick up Fleur de sel for family and friends, our daughter was impressed and delighted spending time in the tide pools during low tide. I told her we have tide pools four hours away that we can visit back in the States. Afternoons (and apertifs) were spent sipping Pastis and Martini Blanc.
Paris is always fun and didn't disappoint this time either. We had a great afternoon at Willi's Wine Bar. We befriended a mother and son and invited them to our game of Uno. The World Cup was playing and Willi's did not have a TV, so we were the only bar patrons. I had a wine epiphany while we played Uno. I ordered a white Châteauneuf-du-Pape because it is generally a rare wine in and outside of France as only 7% of Châteauneuf-du-Pape is white. The first sip was great and tasted the way it should (minerally yet with a rich mouthfeel of peach and flowers) yet as we sat and played Uno the Châteauneuf-du-Pape wasn't impressive. I realized it wasn't the wine, but the wine needed food. It wasn't meant to be drank alone. I know food taste better with wine and wine is different before and during eating, but it was such an experience to have wine without food and realize how much the wine depended on food to fully show its flavors.
Overall, a nice trip, but happy to be home to the Napa Valley for the remainder of the summer.
And now, onto the wine releases...
July 2018 Wine Releases
- Accendo Cellars; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($350)
- Arnot-Roberts; 2016 Napa Valley Vare Vineyard Ribolla Gialla,, 2017 North Coast Trousseau, 2017 El Dorado Gamay, 2017 Sonoma Coast Syrah, 2017 Mokelumne River Kirschenmann Vineyard Zinfandel
- Black Prince Winery; NV Knight's Quest Sparkling White, 2015 Terroir Elite Caberent Franc, 2017 Riesling, 2016 Baco Noir
- C.G. Di Arie Vineyard and Winery; 2015 Grenache
- Cameron Hughes Wine; 2017 Lake County Lot 648 Muscat Canelli (400 cases, $12)
- Cellars 33; 2017 Picpoul Blanc ($24), 2016 Santa Lucia Highlands Chardonnay ($34), 2016 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir ($34)
- Convergence Zone Cellars; 2014 Columbia Valley Squall Line Red Blend Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc/Malbec (119 cases, $29), 2016 Snipes Mountain Upland Vineyard Sunbreak Chenin Blanc (60 cases, $15)
- Corison Winery; 2016 Anderson Valley Corazón Gewürztraminer (150 cases, $35)
- Covington Cellars; 2017 Boushey Vineyard Chardonnay, 2014 Rough House Red Cabernet Franc/Merlot ($24), 2013 Starr Syrah
- Crosby Roamann; 2016 Napa Valley St. Helena Sauvignon Blanc ($32)
- Gibbons Lane Winery; 2015 Donedei Merlot, 2015 Donedei Cabernet Sauvignon
- Guarachi Family Wines; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Gundlach Bundschu Winery; 2017 Clarksburg Sightline Chenin Blanc/Verdejo, 2014 Sonoma Sugarloaf Mountain Steel Plow Vineyard Points Unknown Rhone
- Hall Winery; 2015 Napa Valley Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon ($185)
- Handwritten Wines; 2016 The Author Sauvignon Blanc ($45)
- Homefire Cellars; 2016 Daydream Vineyard Zinfandel (331 cases, $19)
- Hope & Grace; 2017 Russian River Valley Rose of Pinot Noir ($28)
- J Gregory Wines; 2015 Cabernet Franc ($85), 2015 S.L.A.P. Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon ($85), 2015 Celebration Cabernet Sauvignon ($85), 2015 Extol Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Petit Verdot/Cabernet Franc/Malbec ($95)
- Jack Brooks Vineyard; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Kelleher Family Vineyard; 2016 Napa Valley Oakville Block 21 Sauvignon Blanc (230 cases, $34)
- Lewis Cellars; 2016 Napa Valley Syrah ($75), 2016 Napa Valley Alec’s Blend ($65), 2016 Napa Valley Ethan’s Syrah ($45), 2016 Napa Valley Mason’s Cabernet Sauvignon ($65)
- Lucia Vineyards & Winery; 2016 Garys' Vineyard Pinot Noir ($65), 2016 Garys' Vineyard Syrah ($55)
- MJA Vineyards; 2017 Russian River Valley Trousseau Gris ($50)
- Piña Cellars; 2017 Napa Valley Oak Knoll Low Vineyard Chardonnay
- Quivet Cellars; 2016 Henry Pellet Cabernet Sauvignon, 2016 Kenefick Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, 2016 Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- Rosehall Run; 2017 Hungry Point Pinot Gris ($25)
- Sinegal Estate; 2017 Sauvignon Blanc
- Southbrook Vineyards; 2017 Estate Orange Wine ($30), 2016 Niagara Peninsula Triomphe Riesling ($23)
- T-Vine Cellars; 2016 Amador County Shake Ridge Vineyard Hill of Thunder Red Wine Zinfandel/Petite Sirah/Primitivo ($65)
- Willful Wine Co. (formerly Daedalus Cellars); 2017 Jezebel Blanc Sparkling Wine Pinot Gris/Riesling/Gewürztraminer ($17)
- Young Inglewood; 2015 Cabernet Franc, 2017 Aligote
August 2018 Wine Releases
- Ceritas Wines; 2016 Porter-Bass Vineyard Chardonnay, 2016 Old Shop Block Vineyard Hellenthal Pinot Noir, 2016 Trout Gulch Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2016 Marena Chardonnay
- Dashe Cellars ; 2017 Les Enfants Terribles Mendocino Cuvee Zinfandel, 2016 Todd Brothers Ranch Old Vines Zinfandel, 2017 Late Harvest Zinfandel
- DeSante Wines; 2016 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon, 2016 Proof Red
- Elyse Winery ; 2014 Jacob Franklin Mitchell Vineyard Cabernet Franc
- Hobel Wines; 2016 The Grain Cabernet Sauvignon, 2016 The Figure Cabernet Sauvignon
- La Frenz; 2016 Rockyfeller Vineyard Syrah, 2016 Rockyfeller Vineyard Malbec, 2016 Rattlesnake Vineyard Merlot, 2016 Rockyfeller Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Law Estate Wines; 2015 Audacious Cabernet Sauvignon/Grenache/Syrah ($75), 2015 Beguiling Grenache/Syrah ($75), 2015 Beyond Category Tempranillo/Mourvedre/Grenache/Carignan ($75), 2015 Sagacious Mourvedre/Grenache/Syrah ($75)
- Levensohn Vineyards; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (165 cases, $175)
- Lewis Cellars; 2016 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($100), 2016 Napa Valley Hillstone Cabernet Sauvignon ($175), 2016 Napa Valley Merlot ($80), 2017 Napa Valley Chardonnay ($55), 2017 Sonoma Chardonnay ($55)
- Neal Family Vineyards; 2016 Rutherford Dust Zinfandel
- Optima Winery; 2014 Alexander Valley Duffy Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, 2015 Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2014 Dry Creek Valley Petite Sirah
- Pavi Wines; 2016 Napa Valley Fisticuffs Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pedroncelli Winery & Vineyards; 2017 Dry Creek Valley F. Johnson Vineyard Chardonnay, 2016 Dry Creek Valley Mother Clone Zinfandel, 2017 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
- ROAR Wines; 2016 Soberanes Vineyard Pinot Noir (275 cases, $54), 2016 Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir (440 cases, $60), 2016 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir (220 cases, $68), 2016 Rosella's Vineyard Chardonnay (165 cases, $45), 2016 Soberanes Vineyard Chardonnay (139 cases, $45)
- Senses; 2016 Tenth Stop Chardonnay, 2016 B.A. Thieriot Estate Vineyard Chardonnay, 2016 Day One Hillcrest Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2016 MCM88 Pinot Noir
- Seven Stones Winery; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Silver Oak Cellars; 2014 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Somnium Wine; 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tenor; 2016 Chardonnay
- Tierra Roja; 2015 Napa Valley Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon ($160)
WineRelease.com's Winery Newsletters and Mailing Lists Sign Up Page: Click here.
The following 42 winery information pages have been updated since June 15, 2018:
Wine Quote of the Month: "For when the wine is in, the wit is out. Thomas Becon
Till next month.
Special thanks to the following sponsors of WineRelease.com:
Bonaccorsi Wine Company,
Gamba Vineyards and Winery,
Herb Lamb Vineyards,
Rocca Family Vineyards,
School House Vineyard,
Seven Stones Winery,
Stein Family Wines,
Steltzner Vineyards and
VIADER Vineyards & Winery.
They help make WineRelease possible.
About this newsletter: This is the monthly WineRelease email newsletter published on the 15th of every month by WineRelease.com listing wine releases for the next month.
Copyright: We welcome and appreciate forwarding WineRelease publications in their entirety or in part with proper attribution: Source: 2017 WineRelease.com http://www.WineRelease.com
Legal Notices: While WineRelease.com used its best efforts in collecting and preparing the information published herein, WineRelease.com does not assume, and hereby disclaims, any liability for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions resulted from negligence, accident or other causes.
Free Subscription: Subscriptions are free and sign-up is easy, just visit our home page.
Archives: Past newsletters can be found here: http://www.WineRelease.com/Past_Newsletters/Previous_newsletters.html
Contact: Email nmonnensATWineRelease.com and replace "AT" with"@".
Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to receive this monthly Email, reply with the word "Remove" in the subject and you will be promptly removed from our mailing list. Alternatively you can write:
1592 Union St. #232
San Francisco, CA 94123